Easy Dodo Recipes
Recipe 1 - Pan Fried Plantains (Round or Oval)
- Cooking Instructions:
- Bring out dodo from the freezer and allow to thaw for about 30 minutes
- Preheat oil in a frying pan on low to medium heat
- Add some salt to taste or your favourite spice (cinnamon works great too) and mix with the dodo slices
- Place a small amount of dodo slices into the fryer
- Fry for 4 to 5 minutes on low to medium heat until golden brown
- Drain on paper towel and serve.
Recipe 2 - Plantain Steak Sandwich (Jibarito)
- 2 4 ounce butcher's steak
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 3 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 cups medium-ripe dodo plantain slices, thawed
- Coconut oil
- Cheese slices
Prep and Cooking Instructions:
- Pat steaks dry with a paper towel. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with steak seasoning on both sides, cover with plastic wrap and set aside
- In a small bowl combine ketchup, mayonnaise and garlic powder. Mix until well combined, taste. Add more garlic powder if desired and set aside
- Use enough coconut oil to cover the thawed plantains in a saucepan (for air frying, drizzle coconut oil on both sides of the plantain slices). Heat oil to 350F degrees. Carefully drop the plantain slices in the hot oil.
- Fry the plantains in batches until tender and just golden, 2 to 3 minutes each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Using a plate or small cutting board, press the plantain slices between parchment paper to make them flat. Return the flattened plantains to the oil and fry until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain then season with salt.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Place the steaks in the skillet, careful not to crowd the pan. Cook the steaks for 3 to 4 minutes each side, or until the internal temperature reaches 135F degrees. Set aside on a plate to rest for 5 minutes.
- Spread sauce on the plantain slices. Top one-two slices with steaks, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, and remaining plantain slices.
Recipe 3 - Oven Baked Plantains (Diced)
- Prep Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Lightly spray parchment lined paper and set aside
- Take out a pouch (or two) of diced dodo from your freezer and let it thaw for 20 to 30 minutes
- Place the diced dodo plantains in a single layer on the parchment paper
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking Instructions:
- Place the diced dodo on the lightly sprayed baking sheet
- Spray your choice of cooking oil on top of the diced plantains
- Bake in the preheated oven at 425F degrees for approximately 15 to 20 minutes, turning halfway or until plantains are golden brown.
Recipe 4 - Very Berry Plantain Smoothie
- 1 cup dodo plantain slices (frozen)
- 1 cup mixed berry blend (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry)
- 2 cups almond/oat milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
In a blender, combine dodo plantain slices, mixed berries, milk and maple syrup until smooth. Serve chilled. Makes up to 2 servings
Recipe 5 - Plantain, Pineapple & Spinach Smoothie
- 1.5 cups dodo plantain slices (frozen)
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 2 cups baby spinach or chopped spinach leaves
- 1 cup almond/coconut/oat milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
In a blender, combine dodo plantain slices, pineapple chunks, spinach, milk, chia seeds and honey/maple syrup until smooth. Serve chilled.